Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Woodstock Finally Laid to Rest

WAHOOOO!!! If you haven't yet read the post about the beginnings of this quilt, you can read it here. It's been a long time in the making, sort of ridiculously so given the simplicity of the design. And, if you're anything like my sister (or you are my sister) you're sick of reading about fennel. But there have been a number of major delays, not the least of which lately has been a more-than-a-little-annoying back injury. Turns out quilting doesn't hurt, but the quilt sandwich/basting step was quite a pain--both literally and figuratively.
The top was simple to piece as it's just pieced strips sewn with straight seams. The only slight complication is the order in which you need to attach the border. If you look closely above you can see what I mean.
Once the top was complete, it was quilt sandwich time. I saved a bit of time and irritation by doing two quilts at once. That's the Matisse quilt you see there.I decided to quilt this in parallel lines about a half inch apart. This was certainly more quilting than needed for the space, but I like the look of it a lot. And here's the back, a great Kaffe Fassett find:
Once quilted, I squared the whole thing off,

added the binding,and finished the whole thing! Thanks to some recent blog surfing of other quilters, I got a bit more daring with my photos. I like the snowy backdrop with this one.

Ahhhh. That's me sighing. It's finally done, and the wondrous fabrics from Woodstock Quilt Supply are, as they should be, in a wondrous quilt. At least I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment