Thursday, January 13, 2011

Children's Museum Costumes

While visiting my sister in Wayland, Mass, we went to the Children's Science and Discovery Museum in Acton. As a museum educator by trade, I was really impressed with this place. The museum is in an old house, and each room is a different theme. There is a water room, a jungle room, a color room, etc. Among the things I thought they did really well there were the costumes for dress up and imaginative play. Many rooms had costumes, which was fun in and of itself, not just one "dress-up" area like many children's museums. And all the costumes were made the same way. The great things about the costume construction, was that the kids could put them on by themselves, and knew exactly what to look for room to room.

The costumes were simple vests made of different materials, and, in some cases, with additional details attached. For example, in the boat room there was a pirate vest with a skull and crossbones on the back and a sea dragon vest made of some scaly material with a long tail and "spikes" sewn down the spine. In the jungle room was a black, faux-gorilla-fur vest and a tan fur vest with a lion's tail.

After taking a look at one of these costumes, it became clear that I would make some myself. I stumbled upon some leopard and zebra print minky fabric, so those are the first vests I've made. My three-year-old asked for a giraffe costume, so that will be next. I found some giraffe minky on my last trip to Joann's. I think the key is that the material has to have enough body to hold it's vest shape when being worn. It also should be comfortable, washable, and fun. I'm on the lookout for some pleather with an embossed alligator or snakeskin texture.

Here are some photos of my little one modeling the leopard costume:
The vest is a bit big on her, but I think she looks amazingly cute.

Now for some specifics:
I bought 1/2 yard pieces of each fabric, leopard and zebra. This is plenty to make two of each vest, including tails.


1. Cut out a rectangle about 16" x 30". Cut the opening of the vest by cutting a line from the center of one short end to the center of the rectangle. Cut a triangle with a 5" long side along the center fold of the fabric. The point of the triangle should be about 4 1/2" down the cut opening of the vest.

When the vest is folded, this is what your rectangle should look like.

2. Pin to mark arm holes. My first run I forgot to do this and I sewed the arms shut. Oops. I think 4 1/2" down from the fold is just right.
3. Roll the edges over to make a hem. Using zigzag stitch, sew from pin to pin to make the arm hole hem. Repeat with the front opening and head hole.

4. Sew the side seams.

5. Make the tail if appropriate to your costume. The tail is just a 3" x 7" rectangle. Lengthen or shorten the 7" side depending on what animal you're making. Either sew into a tube with right sides together and turn right-side out, or double fold so no raw edges are visible. Sew closed.

The leopard tail is just the plain rectangle. For the zebra I added a small piece of fringed black cotton to the end.
6. Hem the bottom of the vest, and attach the tail.

Now to find some cute pegs to hang these up, and we'll have a jungle dress up area in no time. Maybe I should work on some headbands with wire framed ears. I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

1 comment: