Thursday, December 16, 2010

Peace, Love, and Quilting in Woodstock

There used to be an amazing little quilting shop in Woodstock, NY. My husband and I stumbled upon it when we were wandering the main street in Woodstock on our way to Mohonk Mountain House a few years ago. The shop was in the most beautiful old house.

Image courtesy of ctpubblog.com
As soon as we walked in I knew I wasn't leaving without some fabric, and my husband knew we weren't leaving for at least an hour. The main floor was full of bolts of the most beautiful fabrics, modern and vintage lines, and a wall of batiks. I wandered for a while and chose a few things (a bag pattern and fabric for that project, plus a yard each of a few fabulous textiles), but I just couldn't decide. And I couldn't leave with only a few fabrics.

One of the things I loved about the store's set-up was that every fabric was presented on the bolt and as a fat quarter. Usually stores have leftover fabrics in fat quarter packets or rolls on a table or shelf. At Woodstock Quilt Supply every single fabric had a fat quarter of itself on the shelf right there. As I made my last rounds through the enchanting store I started to pick up miscellaneous fat quarters of fabrics I loved and needed in my life. Miraculously, I only chose six. While they were not chosen to coordinate, with each other or anything else in particular, I thought the six stacked in my hand looked amazing together.




I knew they'd be used in one quilt, and I saved them in a little stack until finally finding a binding and back that would sufficiently accompany this amazing sextet. I kept the quilt design pretty simple so I could enjoy each one, and so it wouldn't be too busy as each of the fabrics is a bit on its own. I began making the top for this quilt over a year ago. Pregnancy and more pressing projects have kept me from it, but today I got in a small chunk of time to work on it. The top is now one seam away from completion! You'll have to wait for another post for photos of the finished project.

How I still yearn for Woodstock Quilt Supply. I took my only sewing class in the upstairs classroom, driving 1 1/2 hours north on a quiet Saturday to learn how to free motion quilt over a year ago. I'd set my heart on making that pilgrimage once a year (or more) to take a class and indulge in some new fabric. But, alas, when, a few months back, I tried to call them to get more of one fabric that I fell in love with that summer I found they'd closed and consolidated their inventory with another shop, The Joyful Quilter. I'm sure this other shop is lovely, but at 2 3/4 hours north of here, I don't think I'll be heading that way for a quiet Saturday pilgrimage any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment