Sunday, December 19, 2010

Matisse Quilt


I love this whole line of Alexander Henry Matisse fabric. I love the oversized roses, the mini flower still life, and this classic Matisse paper-cut pattern. I knew I wanted to make something with this amazing textile inspired by some of my favorite works of art. But what to make? I decided to make up a quilt design that maximized use of this fabric, and allowed for some large, unbroken areas to show off the great shape and pattern.


This quilt quickly became a geometric experiment that merges Matisse and Mondrian. Cutting the pieces made me kind of dizzy, and when it was all laid out I admit that I didn’t love it. So I left the quilt on my design wall and slept on it (though it was all cut, so I’m not sure what I could really have done about it.) Don’t worry, though, the next day when I looked at it with rested eyes I thought it was pretty cool.


This design really reinforces the old adage “measure twice, cut once.” As a sculpture major in college this phrase was tantamount. And I was careful to measure each piece of fabric even three times. But what I discovered is that measuring three times doesn’t help if the measurement you’re checking is incorrect. I bought the exact amount of fabric for this layout. I swear I have NO black scraps leftover, and only a few small strips of the Matisse. But I made a mistake in the design that didn’t allow for feasible piecing. I solved the problem, but the solution included cutting one of my Matisse pieces in half and adding an additional black strip. I salvaged a few tiny pieces of black to piece that strip- hardly noticeable unless you know about it, see?

Betcha can't even tell which line it is. Anyway, once cut, this was a really easy top to piece. Almost like one huge log cabin block.

At first I thought the fabric was too sophisticated for a child, but now I think it’d actually be fun for a baby because of all the great contrast. Leah, who is seven months old, loves this fabric and keeps trying to play with it.


The top is done, and the solid yellow binding is all ready to go.

Now I just need to choose a back for it. Hmmm…decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

  1. I think the back shoudl be that blue color in the matisse.

    ReplyDelete