Friday, August 19, 2011

Kids' Stationery

I love using my kids' artwork to make their stationery. When my younger daughter turned one this spring I set about helping her generate enough work to make a set of thank you notes. You've seen a similar project here. The only difference is that this time the art was made by cutting small pieces from a huge finger painted piece of butcher block paper.

If you haven't ever done this with your kids, I highly recommend it. Cover a tile floor with plastic sheeting or garbage bags. Tape the plastic to the floor around the edges. Lay out a large piece of plain white paper. I use a section from a roll of easel paper. Ikea carries these rolls, and they're really inexpensive.

I love the crayola children's paint. It is really washable, and comes in a box of ten or twelve colors. The washability is key, as you should be prepared for a bit of a mess.
It all starts out neatly enough...
But suddenly isn't so neat anymore.
We always do this with as little clothing on as possible, and pop the kids right in the bath when they're done.

Then make the cards the same old way, just sewing the art onto plain notecards. This set got jazzed up by brightly colored mats.
A few of these cards were so beautiful I couldn't send them off. Maybe I'll frame them to enjoy as the works of art they are. Who knew the amazing work that could come from finger painting?

No comments:

Post a Comment