Friday, August 19, 2011

Fig Salad



It's been a while since I've posted anything new here. The summer has been busy and wonderful, and full of projects and adventures. So full, in fact, that I've just had time to collect photos and drafts, but not time to post. If you're one of the two people who regularly check to see what's new, here's a mini post to ease back into things.I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure the fruit has been better this year than most. The berries are sweeter, the pluots juicier, and I suddenly have even started to almost enjoy bananas. Last week, when I spotted these figs at our supermarket, I was so excited to make one of our favorite summer salads. I couldn't decide which color fig to buy, so I chose a few of each. I think the purple ones had a slightly better texture, but the color combination was really pretty so I'd mix it up again.Quarter the figs. Drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil and some freshly ground black pepper. Roast in a 375 degree oven until soft and a bit browned on the edges.In the meantime, thinly slice a red onion and saute in a hot skillet with the tiniest bit of olive oil. Let the onions carmelize. When they are nicely browned, add a generous dousing of balsamic vinegar. Still continuously as the vinegar reduces to create a thicker fluid and coat the onions.Arrange a large handful of arugula on a plate. Top with hot figs and onions. Dress the salad with a few additional drops of the thickened vinegar. Top with crumbled goat cheese and fresh black pepper.
Yum. It's even good as leftovers, just reheat the figs and onions before making the salad again.

Ok, draft one complete. On to the next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment