Sunday, November 7, 2010

Super Baby! and other adventures of applique

I never thought I had an addictive personality. I never got into drinking, I turned down a variety of drugs when offered them in college, and I don't gamble (even though my father thinks I should at least learn how). But I admit it, I'm sort of addicted to applique.

After making that onesie a few months back, I began to collect basic shirts that could become my next project. If you read my last post, you know that I've also expanded into my own attire. Here are a few photos of some recent jersey victims:


I was trying to decide what to make for a friend's new baby, and, with applique on the brain, went right to a solid pink hoodie. The question of what to sew onto it was clearly inspired by my love of the "Incredibles" and interest in the new family show "No Ordinary Family." Who doesn't want, in some small way, to be a super hero? Taking my cue from comic strip exclamations, this hoodie was born. (The B is the baby's initial, by the way, not just for "Super Baby.")

This is the first time I used stabilizer, and I have to say I totally love it. This discovery will only enable my addiction. Now, in addition to fusible webbing which can turn any fabric into an iron on decal, I can stabilize any floppy material like jersey. This makes me an unstoppable applique monster. If you're already familiar with stabilizer I'm sure you think I'm a big doofus (which you are free to think anyway), but if you're an aspiring applique-er, read on.

How to:
Iron applique onto the shirt in desired location.
Iron the stabilizer to the inside of the shirt, being sure to cover entire applique from behind.
Sew as you like, I chose satin stitch for this one, but the orange shirt (above) is just a doodle-ish free motion stitch.
Tear away the stabilizer, it will essentially be perforated by the sewing machine needle.

Ta Da!


I hope I can keep this habit limited to cute, fun, and age appropriate use. I currently don't plan to make any holiday specific sweaters or t-shirts with obnoxious attitude. If I do, however, stray into that kind of territory, I hope those of you who love me will stage an intervention. Even applique can get out of hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment