Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Search Continues...

The kale chips were a huge success- delicious, healthy, easy to make. In fact, I made them for my family this past weekend at the beach, and everyone loved them. I mean everyone, including my 3-year-old daughter. I definitely want to continue the search for easy, healthy, homemade snacks, so I looked up some recipes for roasted chickpeas. All the recipes I found online were pretty similar. This recipe is my adaptation of a few combined.
Roasted Chickpeas
Ingredients
  • 1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • seasonings(All seasonings are optional. This is a list of some yummy options.)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
  • cayenne pepper
  • cumin
  • za'atar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to dry them.
  3. In a bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil, and season to taste with your choice of seasonings: I used salt, freshly ground black pepper, and garlic powder.
  4. Spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. The chickpeas on the perimeter will darken most, so be sure to spread them out on the pan so the browning will be more even. I then sprinkled half of the tray with cumin, and half with za'atar to try two different flavors.
  5. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until browned and crunchy. Shake pan after 10-15 minutes. Watc h carefully the last ten minutes to avoid burning.
These were good, though not as good as the kale chips, for sure. Also, I erred on the side of under- seasoning, but they needed more. The flavor dissipated as they cooked, so what I thought would be strong ended up bordering on bland. I'll certainly make them again, but the search continues.



1 comment:

  1. hi Sar,
    Rachie sent me here to check out your socks, and art, and I found your kale. Love it. You might check this out: http://jcladventures.blogspot.com/2007/02/ambassador-of-kale.html

    enjoy.
    love,
    jess

    ReplyDelete