Friday, August 13, 2010

Roasterphobia and the Chex Mix Alternative

After finally getting the green light from my MD, I went back to the gym this week. One swimming session and two Zumba classes later I felt inspired to take my "get-your-ass-back-in-shape" endeavor to a whole new level. You see, I'm a snacker. I like snacks; greasy fries, chips that leave your fingertips orange, cookies and milk, etc.. I imagine you get the picture. When I'm not in shape, and not doing anything to get in shape, I find myself eating more of these things. I don't know what it is, but there's probably a good deal of resignation involved. Now, don't get me wrong, I like my fruits and veggies, and we eat a balanced meal for dinner every night at my house. But when given an opportunity to eat a bag of Cheetos, I have a hard time turning it down (even when I read the label and know that bag holds 2.5 servings). Regardless, while in the shower at the gym today I got a hankering for a snack. Something crunchy and salty. There have been times, many I imagine, when I've felt like my recent work-out will cancel out whatever I feel like eating later on, and I'm therefore entitled to whatever junk I crave. Today, however, I found myself wanting to go all in. ALL IN I SAY! What does that mean? Well, it sure as hell does not mean no more Cheetos. I'm just not that kind of girl, you know,the kind that can live on salad alone. What's the point? But I think (key word there) that I'm the kind of girl who could be more disciplined, more conscious, more proactive about my diet. Some guy on Oprah this week (yup, I'm admitting that I watched Oprah for 15 minutes on Wednesday) stated this rule about healthy eating: "Eat as much junk as you want. Just make it yourself." I suppose the argument is two-fold. One, if you make it fresh it's automatically healthier than anything processed you'd buy. Two, this man said he can still eat french fries whenever he motivates to make them, which is maybe once every few weeks.

Thus enter the kale chip. This strange sounding snack has been mentioned a few times recently. The first time was when Jessica Biel told a morning news interview that she grew up eating them. While the audience made strange semi-gasping sounds, I found myself intrigued. When, a few weeks later, a recipe for said chip appeared in a parenting magazine I figured it must have been a sign. So I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when, in the locker room this morning I decided, with no hesitation, to pick up a bunch of kale on the way home. I have to say, the resulting chips were tasty and satisfying. It's a serious buzz kill to be filled with regret after enjoying a snack. Today I snacked with no guilt whatsoever.

In addition to the adventures in kaleville, I have, once and for all, faced my roasterphobia. Have you seen that Purdue commercial where the family stages an intervention? Well, there was no dramatic intervention today, but while at the grocery store getting kale I also purchased a 4 lb chicken with the intention of cooking it. Whole. By myself. I know, earth shattering concept, right?

The recipes for both the kale chips and the chicken are below. Read on...

Kale Chips (recipe adapted from Parents Magazine, Sept. 2010)
1 bunch kale (washed and dried)
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. sea salt.


1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Chop kale into 1/2 inch strips. I tore my kale into chip sized pieces. Less mess.
3. In a large bowl combine the oil, lemon juice, and salt. Hand toss the kale in this dressing. Make sure all pieces are coated so they look shiny.
4. Place kale on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until kale is dark green and crispy.
6. Cool and serve.


Roast Chicken with Cumin, Honey, and Orange
(This recipe is from the NY Times, author Mark Bittman. I have no idea when we clipped it. The newsprint is a bit yellowed so it must have been in our recipe binder for a while.)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup honey
1 Tbs. ground cumin
salt and freshly ground black pepper.
1 3 lb chicken, giblets removed

1. Preheat oven to 400. Use a non-stick roasting pan or line a roasting pan with a double layer of tin foil. Combine all ingredients, except chicken, in a bowl and whisk until blended. Place chicken in pan, and spoon all but 1/4 cup of liquid over it.
2. Place chicken in oven, legs first, and roast for 10 minutes. Spoon juices over chicken, reverse pan back to front, and return to oven. Repeat four times, basting every ten minutes and switching pan position each time. If chicken browns too quickly, lower the heat a bit. I also covered the drumsticks lightly with foil so they wouldn't burn. If juices dry up, use reserved liquid and 1 or 2 tablespoons of water or orange juice.
3. After 50 minutes of roasting, insert an instant-read thermometer into a thigh; when it reads 155-165 degrees, remove chicken from oven, and baste one final time. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. i know nothing about roasting (nor do i want to) but kale chips are awesome!

    ReplyDelete