Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Leah's Quilt-Part II

Apparently, there's nothing quite like the public promise to do nothing else until a project is complete. Indeed, I had barely posted that commitment when the sheer pressure to get this thing sewn so my nearly-five-month-old can roll around on it lit a serious fire under my rear end. The quilt's not done yet, but (drumroll, please)...

The top is finished!
Once all the horizontal rows are sewn together, it's time to start going vertical. This is the step where it's really important to line up the corners of each block. That's why, even though I admitted yesterday to avoiding pinning whenever possible, I pin the heck out of these rows.

Start by lining up the seam for one corner. Pin the rows, right sides together, at the intersection of seams. Then work your way across the row filling in with pins every few inches.

Sew the rows together. Repeat until all rows are attached, and VOILA! The top is complete.

What lies ahead is the least fun, and perhaps most physically uncomfortable step of quilt making. Tomorrow I will lay out the layers of my "quilt sandwich" and safety pin this sucker within an inch of its life. But in the meantime, I'm just going to celebrate the simple fact that after five months, Leah's quilt is well on its way.

1 comment: